Sometimes back I had a very rough day in figuring out how to add my site on Alexa.I think most of us has heard about it and there is no need for formal introduction it is one of the big players in the search engine business that has been around since 1996. Although it isn’t as large as Google.com or Bing.com, it plays a unique and important role.
Alexa openly gives detailed site metrics and traffic reporting with its search results that a large number of tools and people use when evaluating a Web site. Also,Alexa has an extensive set of APIs and Web Services that are commonly used by a large number of third party search tools but all those are not for free user and you need to have a premium account for that,but for majority of us the free account does the important thing that is how to get your site into Alexa.
But the process of claiming a site in Alexa is not easy with a wordpress.com site and there also no enough information over the net on how to do it the easy way.So,I thought to come up with a How To post to let WordPress user generally those who are new to WordPress as well as blogging like me to get their site in Alexa.
Step #1: Crate an account with Alexa.
Step #2: Once you have your Alexa login and you are logged into your new account, click on the second toolbar tab on the top of the site titled ‘Claim Your Site’.
Step #3: Enter the URL of your site.
Step #4:Now you will have two options.First One is to upload a file to the root directory or your site,which cannot be done since it is hosted on wordpress.com.So,the second option is the one we should use,the verification id must be added somewhere in the home page of your blog(Don’t get confused you really don’t have to add it to your home page).
So far So Good and we are still on Alexa site with our verification Id ready.Below is a screen capture of the Alexa verification page,followed by the steps we should follow to proceed.
Alexa Verification Step
Alexa Site Verification Steps:
- Copy the meta tag(Red box in the picture),make sure to copy the whole thing as it is.It looks like:-.
- Log into your WordPress.com Blog and go to dashboard.
- Click Tools on the left hand sidebar and Available Tools.
- There are three Text boxes in which to enter codes on this page.I tried on Google webmaster and Pinterest Site Verification for this verification but didn’t tried Bing.
- Paste your entire meta tag into the Google Webmaster or Pinterest Site text box.
- Click the Save button.
- Go to Alexa verification page opened earlier in Step #4.
- Click the “Verify My ID” button.
- This is it,if all goes well and if you have followed the above steps correctly you should see a green check-box with a message saying “Your site is successfully claimed”.
- Click the “Continue” button to finish your site registration.
That all for now,I hope it is simple and helpful to those who are new to WordPress and trying to get their site on Alexa.
P.S.-Lower the Alexa rank,the Better.