It’s time for Meghalaya tour.Meghalaya is another tourist destination in NE India and it borders with Assam and Bangladesh.
It is famous for its forested areas,about two-third of Meghalaya is forested and famous for hill stations,Cherrapunji and Mawsynram as the most wettest place on earth.The Capital city of Meghalaya is Shillong also known as the ‘Scotland of East India’ and is also the main city here.Shillong is at distance of about 100 Kms from Guwahati and hardly takes 2 hours to reach.
So without wasting much time let me provide the details of place in Meghalaya that is worth visiting.
- Shillong Golf Course:-It is one of the largest golf courses in Asia at an altitude of around 5200 ft.It is sometimes equated with “Glen-eagle Course” in the United States because of its beauty and unique location,hence it’s called the “Gleneagles of the East. It enjoys the rare distinction of being one of the few natural golf courses in Asia.Not only is the Shillong golf course scenic and enjoyable, it is also challenging.
- Shillong Peak:-A picnic spot,10 km from the city,1965 m above sea level, offers a panoramic view of the scenic countryside and is the highest point in the state.One of the most visited site of the hill station,this peak provides breathtaking views of the Shillong City and Himalayan ranges.
- Shillong Police Bazar:-Major commercial hub of the city and the main bus stand is located here,anyone travelling to Shillong will first land here and from hereon they will be on their way to various tourist destination in and around the city or Meghalaya.
- Don Bosco Museum:-It is a museum in Shillong that has a repository of information on entire North-Eastern state.The Museum allows visitor to have an overview of North-East India.Museum timing is from 9:30 am to 3:30 pm and the entry fees is around INR100.
- The Wards Lake:-It is an artificial lake located at the heart of the city has it’s own charm. It is extremely popular for its garden walks and boating.The lake is chock-full of fish it’s a common sight to see tourists feeding fish from the bridge.The lake is encircled by a winding walkway and is inter spread with gently sloping flowerbeds and innovative illumination,edged in by luxuriant greens.
- Umiam Lake:-Also known as Barapani(Big Water) is a scenic place that renders a breathtaking view is located in the hills around 15 km to the North of Shillong.It is popular destination for water sport and adventure facilities.Tourists visit this spot for kayaking,water cycling,scooting and boating.
- Sweet Falls:-It is the most beautiful of all the waterfalls in Shillong.It lies about 5 km from the Happy Valley and is about 96 m in height.Located at a distance of about eight kilometre from Shillong,the waterfall is a famous picnic spot for the locals as well as tourists.The beauty of the waterfall along with gargling sound of the water, bird chirps and rich flora are the highlights of this fall.
- Elephant Falls:-Located near Upper Shillong and about 12 km from Shillong,these are beautiful sights especially in the rainy season and are favorite picnic spots among the locals and tourist. Beyond the Elephant Falls,one can also view the Upper and Lower Elysium Falls.
- Bishop Falls and Beadon Falls:-They about 2 km from Bara Bazaar,Shillong.There is a hydroelectric powerhouse at the base of the falls.The Bishop Falls is also nearby and together they mingle and flow into the Umiam River.The Bishop’s fall is often referred to as twin brother of Beadon fall.
- Spread Eagle Falls or Sati Falls:-Located in the East Khasi Hills Dist. and is about 6 km from the city and about 3 km the Polo Ground.The Spread Eagle Falls or the Sati Falls are considered to be the widest fall in entire Shillong.This fall is also known as Sati Falls and Urkaliar or the falls into which Ka Liar slipped.Tourists visit this calm and serene place to enjoy the sparkling waterfall,which looks like an eagle with wings spread out. Thus,it is named as Spread Eagle Falls.
- Crinoline Falls:-The Crinoline Falls is about 12–13 m in height and lies to the west of the Survey of India Office.There is a swimming pool at the base of the falls.
- Lady Hydari Park:-It encompasses a wide variety of local flowering plants and orchids,and is landscaped in Japanese style.Sprawling over an area of more than a kilometre,the park also features a mini zoo that comprises 73 species of birds,140 of reptiles and other mammals. Besides,the park also houses a deer abode within it.The best grown blossoms,roses and red rose beds of various colours are the highlights of the park.
- Shillong Cathedral:-One of the most ancient churches region.The largest church of the province,known as Cathedral Church of Mary Help of Christian.Heritage monument,known for its beautiful architecture,is a worship place of over 3,00,000 strong catholic in the Khasi and Jaintia region.
- Cherrapunji and Mawsynram:-Wettest place in the world,located on the southern slopes of the Khasi Hills.Cherrapunji is located at the northern end of a deep valley running from the south to the north,Mawsynram is at the top of the hill in the middle of the valley.Located at a distance of around 57 kms from Shillong,can be reached by road and generally takes about 1 hrs 30 mins.
- Marai Cave:-Located 16 kms from Shillong,is an intriguing cave,called ‘Krem Marai’ (Cave of Marai).Vehicles go up to the base of the hill which is the source of Umiam river.Thereafter, there is a steady climb amidst vegetation, rocks and cultivated land.The hill continues towards, and forms part of,Shillong Peak.
- Jowai:-Located 64 kms from Shillong,Jowai is a place surrounded by natural beauty.The majestic hills and the river valleys enhance the beauty making it a nature lover’s favorable retreat.Some the places to visit in Jowai are-Thadlaskein Lake,Umhang Lake,Stone bridge at Thlumuwi,Reliang,Amlarem,New Garampani,Borghat,Nartlang,Syndai,Khliehriat.
- Tura:-The second significant hill station after Shillong,The town of Tura has few tourist spots across the town.Every year many tourists come to view these tourist spots.Places to visit here includes-Tura peak,Nokrek national Park,Rong’bang Falls,Arbella Peak,Pelga Falls,Kata Beel.Located at distance of around 313 kms,generally takes around 6 hours reach by road.
- Madina Masjid Shillong:-The first ever glass mosque in India,standing as high as 120 feet and about 60 feet wide, the mosque is the first one to be built using special strengthened glasses in India and the biggest in the north-eastern region.
Meghalaya is an all-year-round tourist destination,where even the monsoon provides the exhilaration and experience of being on the wettest place on the planet.The temperature in summer,ranges from 15°C to 25°C;in winter,it is much colder, with temperature ranging between 4°C and 16°C.The hills are also often covered by fog during this season.Tourist does not require any kind of permit to visit Meghalaya and the best route to visit Meghalaya is through Guwahati-Shillong Route by road and the view on both sides of the road is exhilarating.
This is all about Meghalaya Tourism and With all the possible information on Meghalaya Tourism I conclude my Post and will provide details about Mizoram Tourism in my next post.
P.S.-Credits to Google and to People who have taken the pictures and uploaded them.